Aquaman was the King of the Undersea City of Atlantis, the Ruler of the Seas, and a member of the Justice League.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
As an Atlantean and the King of Atlantis, Aquaman possessed the powers of:
- Aquatic Adaptation: As an Atlantean, Aquaman had the ability to survive and adapt to underwater environments, and therefore had an extremely high endurance of both water pressures and water temperatures. He was also an adept swimmer.
- Aquatic Respiration: As an Atlantean, Aquaman had the ability to breathe in both water and air, and was therefore capable of staying underwater for as long as he liked.
- Aquatic Telepathy: Aquaman has the ability to telepathically communicate with marine life, which enabled him to summon schools of marine creatures (such as dolphins, giant octopi, sharks, and even whales) to aid him in battle. Another ability he derived from this power is:
- Aquatic Sensing: Aquaman was revealed to have the ability to determine the location and status of marine life by concentrating on their thoughts. As shown in The Terror Beyond, when he realised that he was unable to hear the thoughts of marine creatures due to their disappearance, Aquaman immediately knew that it was due to the presence of powerful enemies in his kingdom.
- Aquatic Augmentation: Aquaman had the ability to enhance his powers and his physical strength to the extent where he could turn the tables on an opponent who was initially winning. As shown in The Terror Beyond, he accessed this ability by forcing an opponent underwater, enabling him to channel the element to his full advantage.
- Superhuman Strength: Aquaman possessed tremendous physical strength far greater than that of a normal human being. He was shown to be able to knock out opponents with just a single blow, break metal chains, and was even capable of holding his own against Wonder Woman in a physical fight.
- Superhuman Durability: As an Atlantean whose body had been tempered by the deepest ocean depths, Aquaman had a superhuman durability that enabled him to withstand numerous blows of internal or external assaults. His skin, in particular, was described as being "tougher than a rhino's", and was extremely difficult to pierce. However, as shown in The Terror Beyond, Aquaman could still be knocked out by more physically powerful opponents, such as Superman.
- Superhuman Night Vision: Since there is little light in the ocean realms which Aquaman ruled, he had the ability to see in low light conditions or even total darkness.
Due to his status as the King of Atlantis, Aquaman also possessed the weapons of:
- Retractable Hook: After severing his left hand to save his son, Aquaman had it replaced with a prosthetic harpoon that could be fired and retracted like a grappling hook, and he was shown to wield it skillfully in battle.
- Trident of Poseidon: Through this legendary trident, Aquaman was able to channel tremendous magical powers to aid him in battle.
- Hydrokinetic Immunity: As shown in Ultimatum, Aquaman is immune to water-type attacks.
Hence, though it is easy to underestimate Aquaman, he is actually a force to be reckoned with, for he is a skillful, formidable, and well-seasoned warrior with a proficiency in utilising his powers and his weapons to their fullest advantage. Besides this, he also had the armies of Atlantis at his command, making him a challenging opponent on the battlefield.